17 February: Seven Holy Founders of the Order of the Servants of Mary

Seven merchants united in imitation and praise of the Virgin Mary
Seven merchants met in an oratory in Florence on the Feast of the Assumption of Mary in 1233. They were all wealthy and part of the old nobility of Florence. Their names were Bonfilius Monaldi, Bonajunta Manetti, Manettus dell'Antella, Amidius Amidei, Hugo Uguccioni, Sosthenes Sostegni and Alexis Falconieri.
They shared a great devotion to Our Lady and belonged to a confraternity, whose aim was to pay homage to Mary. Known as “Laudesi”, members of the confraternity felt called to be at the service of Our Lady and follow Christ. After seeking the advice of the Bishop of Florence, Ardingo, who encouraged their project, they began their new lives.
Firstly, they gave their possessions to the poor. Dressed in a simple black habit, they withdrew to a home in the countryside near Florence. On 8 September 1233, the seven men began to live together as a community in Villa Camarzia on the outskirts of the city.
They dedicated themselves to prayer and practiced extreme mortifications for one year. When they returned to the city to speak with the Bishop, they were greeted by young people as “Servants of Mary”. This spontaneous homage, which was often repeated, led the Bishop of Florence to officially give the group this name.
Because they wished to live in poverty, away from the world, in 1234 the Bishop gave them some land in Monte Senario, about 18 kilometres from Florence. They built a small Church in honour of Mary and built their cells around it. They spent their days in prayer and meditating on the suffering of Jesus and Mary.
However, the eldest of the group, Bonfilius Monaldi, who had been chosen as their guide, soon understood that their austerity could not be sustainable for much longer. He thus decided to turn to seeking alms from the faithful, and sent Bonajunta and Alexix to beg for alms in Florence. It was a long and dangerous journey, especially in the winter, so they asked the Bishop if they could lean on the support of the Oratory of Santa Maria di Cafaggio. They began to expand their community, welcoming new members.
According to tradition, on 25 March 1239, Mary appeared to the seven merchants, surrounded by angels. Each heavenly messenger carried a symbolic object – the instruments of the Passion, the Rule of Saint Augustine, a black robe with scapular. Our Lady invited them to wear the black habit and to follow the Rule of Saint Augustine. They all became priests, with the exception of Alexis, and dedicated themselves to preaching about the suffering of the Passion of Our Lord and Mary. In 1239, the Pontifical Legate, Cardinal Goffredo Castiglioni (later, Pope Celestine IV), entrusted them with the Rule of Saint Augustine.
The seven were surrounded by the fame of holiness. Bonajunta Manetti was the first member of the group to die, on 13 August 1251. The last member of the group to die was Alexis Falconieri. He died on 17 February 1310, at the age of 110. Pope Leo XIII canonized the seven companions together in 1888. Their mortal remains are buried in a single tomb in Monte Senario.